Saturday, December 13, 2008

Waste Not

I love Meyer lemons so much that, whenever I cook with them, I can’t bear to waste a single precious bit. That’s why when I had tons of Meyer lemon rinds left over from making my Meyer Lemon & Blood Orange Gelée, I couldn’t just throw them away, could I? So I turned them into candy instead.


Candied Citrus Peel
Printable Recipe

2 ounces citrus peel, cut into 2×¼-inch strips
1 cup sugar, plus more for coating

Combine the citrus peel and 2 cups of water in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and drain. Repeat twice. Return the peel to the saucepan and add the sugar and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 16 to 18 minutes, or until the peel is translucent and the syrup thickens slightly. Drain the peel, reserving the syrup for another use. Using two forks, arrange the peel in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking tray and let cool. A few at a time, transfer to a plate of sugar and turn to coat. Shake off any excess sugar and enjoy!

Yields about 3 ½ ounces. Try this with Meyer lemons, lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruits, and even kumquat slices. For the best results, be sure that the citrus peel is free of any flesh or membranes before candying it. Blanching it will eliminate any bitterness. Keeps for about a week in a tightly sealed container in a cool, dry place. And the syrup that remains makes a lovely sweetener for tea.

10 comments:

Chocolate Shavings said...

I really like using leftover orange peels and making them into candied deliciousness. I tend to dip mine in chocolate after too!

Dianna said...

This looks wonderful! I hate wasting things.

Irina said...

Simply perfect! Thank you for satisfying my demand.
-Irina

AMAC1978 said...

I have always wanted to make this, and thanks to you I did today! They are great, and saved my orange peels from the garbage!!
Thank You so much for the easy recipe.

Unknown said...

Yay! You're amazing! I completely forgot about Candied peels! I hadn't had one since I was a child, but I was too young to cook on my own then. Now I'm so gonna use this recipe! Thanks! And Keep it up, your site's awesome and you're doing a great job! xD

avaserfi said...

These are simply amazing. Despite being candied they taste fresh at the same time!!! Thanks for the recipe!

pixen said...

I definitely try your method. The recent batch I made turned out too cooked after I boiled 3 x as per instruction. I think I let the water boiled too long :-(

I have to get some oranges then :-) Thank you for sharing.

Happy Holidays!

shanna said...

OK, I have been wanting to try Meyer lemons for I don't know how long! I never see them at the store, though! Where do you buy them? (I live in Chicago---do you think that matters?)

Lucy Vaserfirer said...

Shannalee,
Try calling some of your local “gourmet” markets. I'm sure you'll be able to find some Meyer lemons somewhere in a great foodie town like Chicago.

shanna said...

OK, thanks, Lucy! I'll do that!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin